Checklist of what to consider before singing a contract
This checklist covers the essential criteria for confidently choose the right construction people.
- All workers are covered under WCB (provide proof of WCB in good standing)
- $2 million liability so you, as the customer, are protected against lost or damaged property or Course of Construction Insurance.
- The company is an accredited Better Business Bureau (Include Link) member.
- Obtain a list of references and testimonials from the company’s past customers to ensure they were left satisfied.
- Ensure the company uses qualified tradespeople and they hold proper tickets for their trade.
- Is the construction company you hire completing any of their work or are they subcontracting the work out, adding a percentage, then billing you for those extra costs?
- Ensure the company’s suppliers are reputable. The products that are getting installed in your home or workplace will be in place for the long haul, so it’s important to be sure all labour and materials carry at least a one-year warranty;
- Example: structural concrete beams, roof trusses.
- Does the company you have design options to suit your budget and a cost savings plan in place?
- Does the company you hire have an office where the customer can bring concerns to and know that their material payment is with a safe company?
- Does the company you hire have a safety plan? Do the employees have first aid?
- Does the company reside in your area? Are they well known so you don't have to worry about them disappearing tomorrow?
- Does the company have New Home Pro Warranty?
- Do they have a transparent quote/budget to work off of?
- Check a minimum of 3 references.